Friends of Hlekweni is a UK-based charity whose purpose is to support education and peace-building work in Zimbabwe, principally in the areas around Bulawayo and, more widely, in Matabeleland. Friends of Hlekweni also aims to help those suffering from hardship, especially young people.
Covid 19 update Emergency Appeal [updated January, 2021]
Zimbabwe is in lockdown again amidst concerns about surges in Covid 19 issues, including the new strain in South Africa. Schooling has been hugely affected, especially for students taking exams. Currently schools are closed.
Friends of Hlekweni is grateful to be working with partners in schools and peacebuilding. During this difficult time, we have kept in touch with our partners, and have funded:
– around 5000 masks for school children, teachers, and Quakers
– PPE for primary schools
– emergency food packages and support for teachers
– the distribution of resources such as laptops, scientific calculators, eye glasses and pre-school toys (another 125 kg shipped and distributed)
– textbooks for Grade 7 (final year primary) students
We continue to fund Alternative to Violence courses, including for women suffering domestic abuse and for teachers introducing Peace Clubs into schools.
We’ve discussed with Heads their priorities for 2021 – even in normal times, schools are hugely underfunded and they have multiple needs.
We are excited that a Zimbabwean School Peace Club Manual is being developed.
TPlease donate by cheque, standing order or bank transfer.
Bank account details: Cooperative Bank, sort code 08 92 99; account no. 65319891.
Please make cheques out to Friends of Hlekweni and send to
Roger Moore, FoH Treasurer,
The Quaker Centre, 1 Oakley Gardens, Milton Keynes, MK15 9BH.
Contact us at email@example.com.
Friends of Hlekweni was originally set up to support the work of the Quaker-run Friends Rural Training Centre at Hlekweni, near Bulawayo which, from 1967-2014, provided post-school training in vital occupational skills such as agriculture, building, early years education, and sewing, underpinned by Quaker values of equality, sustainability and peace. Through the generosity of many people, hundreds of trainees were helped.
Friends of Hlekweni has supported Samathonga Primary School for many years, particularly through a feeding scheme (now including breakfast as well as lunch), books and equipment.
In 2015 our objectives expanded to include:
- helping a wider range of schools improve the quality of the education they provide to all students through improved provision including better books, equipment and buildings;
- supporting individual students who otherwise cannot afford to pay education fees, including many orphans and some able secondary students;
- encouraging and training teachers to offer their pupils training in peace-building techniques and the non-violent resolution of conflict,
- supporting school-based feeding schemes which are known to incentivise attendance and improve educational outcomes for their recipients,
- the relief of hardship in selected cases.